Women's Health Education
HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST GYNECOLOGIST NEAR ME
Are you searching the internet, reading through endless profiles of doctors to see which one is the right fit for your female health care needs? Arizona has a lot of qualified doctors who specialize in different areas so choosing the right physician can be overwhelming. At North Valley Women’s Care, we care for you and your needs. Here is a guide to help you sort through all the gynecologists in the Phoenix, AZ area that you may come across in your search. We want to help you find the right one for you.
First off, let’s explore the field of Gynecology – what is it?
Gynecology is the study of the science of women with a primary focus on sexual and reproductive health.
A physician who specializes in this field is also known as a GYN Physician.
Is There a Difference Between a GYN Physician and an OB GYN?
Yes, there is a difference. An OBGYN has studied both fields of obstetrics and gynecology.
This physician will see patients to provide healthcare for women’s specific needs, as well as provide care for women who are wanting to start a family.
An OBGYN will provide the healthcare services for female patients before and during pregnancy, during labor and birth of the baby, and in a postpartum checkup.
You may choose a physician of obstetrics and gynecology if you are thinking about getting pregnant and want to receive the highest level of healthcare for you and your baby.
A gynecologist specializes in the disorders, diseases, and infections of the reproductive system that affect women’s health.
- To discuss concerns with your menstrual period
- To have a conversation about birth control
- To have an annual pelvic exam and cancer screenings
- If you have had unprotected sex
- If you are experiencing pain in or around the pelvic area including painful intercourse or painful periods
- If you think you may have a hormonal imbalance
- If you have unusual vaginal discharge or odor
- If you are feeling a lack of sex drive
…just to name a few.
This area of women’s health includes some sensitive topics to discuss. It is important to find a doctor that you can trust and feel comfortable with.
So let’s get going on helping you to find the right medical practice in Phoenix, AZ
Here are some steps you can take to help you find an amazing GYN Physician
1. Talk to your closest girlfriends, ask them who they trust with their women’s health care needs
An excellent way to start looking for the right physician is to get opinions and advice from your closest friends.
Receiving a recommendation means that someone else has had a positive experience with that professional and was satisfied with the services received.
Also, ask your primary care physician who they recommend.
This will provide you with a list of gynecologists to start researching based on your specific needs.
2. Identify what your health care needs are
Here is a list of questions to help determine your needs:
- What is the primary reason you seek a gynecologist or OBGYN?
- Are you trying to get pregnant?
- Are you trying to prevent pregnancy?
- Did you just get your period for the first time?
- Are you concerned about a sexually transmitted disease or how to prevent getting one?
- Are you experiencing pain or discomfort with your period?
- Are you bleeding more than usual with your period, or did you stop getting it?
- Did you have a sudden increase or decrease in weight?
- Are you experiencing more acne?
- Are you getting menopause symptoms?
- Are you at high risk for certain diseases?
There are a plethora of questions to ask yourself depending on the stage of life you are in.
OBGYN-patient relationships are meant to be long term, hence the “generational care” provided at North Valley Women’s Care.
It is important that you feel comfortable and confident in the care you receive from your provider.
During your searching, look for key terms that pertain to you that your ideal physician specializes in.
Review profiles to see the number of years they have been in practice as this will help alleviate any concerns of inexperience.
According to the answers from the above questions, you should be able to determine which physician in obstetrics and gynecology is the best match for you.
3. Read the reviews from other patients
A good physician should come highly recommended.
After hearing what your friends have to say, learning who your primary care physician recommends, and matching the results to your specific needs, it’s time to dive even deeper.
There are certain websites that let patients review their doctors to help other patients choose the right one. Healthgrades.com is one to consider as you look in the Phoenix, AZ area.
Glowing reviews may highlight key areas that are important to you:
- A physician who will welcome new patients
- A provider and staff who are caring and friendly
- An office that has all female physicians and staff
- Offices that are family run
- A practice that has new, state-of-the-art equipment
- An office that is clean and modern
- A clinical team that wants the highest level of care for you, and makes you feel like a top priority
- Providers who will take their time with you, discussing results and your best treatment plan
And the list goes on…
We know that different things are important to each woman.
What is important is that you trust your physician with even the most sensitive topics, that you don’t dread going to appointments, and that your care is the utmost importance to the clinical team that is working with you.
At the start of your appointments with the provider you choose, it’s OK to put them on the interview to make sure the relationship is the right match for you and your specific women’s health care needs.
4. Check to see if the OBGYN accepts your insurance
Many insurance websites will list who is in-network and who is out of network. This will give you an idea of what you may have to pay out of pocket for each visit.
Living in the desert state of Arizona, if you do not have private insurance through an employer, you may be eligible to get the state provided insurance, AHCCCS.
Check to make sure the OBGYN you chose accepts the insurance you have. You can always call their office and they will check with your insurance as well.
North Valley Women’s Care accepts most private insurance as well as the state insurance, AHCCCS.
5. Is the OBGYN located close to you?
Location is everything and convenience is key. Especially if you plan to make frequent trips to see your OBGYN, such as in pregnancy, it’s a big plus when the office is nearby.
North Valley Women’s Care, a top women’s provider serving patients in and around our desert location, serves these areas and more:
- Litchfield Park
- Northwest Valley
The providers at North Valley Women’s Care prefer to offer co-management care with their patient’s clinical team to keep services local and convenient for the patient as well.
Your Phoenix Area Women’s Health Physicians are Here to Serve You
SET UP AN APPOINTMENT TODAY
We are your local, neighborhood women’s medical care center and we want to hear from you. If you have questions about our care and services, or to schedule an appointment call us today!
What are you waiting for...
We are your local providers of the highest quality obstetrics and gynecology, and we want to hear from you. If you have questions about our care and services, or to schedule an appointment, call us today!
HOURS & CONTACT
6316 W Union Hills Dr Suite 100, Glendale, AZ 85308